The accidental writer by Tom Padula – 2008/9

It was February 1968 and I was sitting at one of the tables on the first floor of the Baillieu Library at the University of Melbourne, next ...

The accidental writer by Tom Padula – 2008/9

It was February 1968 and I was sitting at one of the tables

on the first floor of the Baillieu Library at the University of

Melbourne, next to those steel shelves full of books. I looked up

across the room full of tables on the opposite side, with not

even a dozen students with their heads down. There she was,

a serious looking but beautiful young woman, who had barely

raised her head to think.

I thought that it would be interesting if I could just get up, go

over to the table and have a chat with her. I was in need of

conversation and perhaps female company… or rather

someone that I could hug… to make my university days more

interesting! I did not get up and walk across to that table

immediately. Rather, I wrote her a poem called ‘Curiosity.’ If I

could just come across to you with confidence, talk to you and

get to know you… a simple, straightforward poem, not even

very long, a page in fact.

So with my poem in hand, I walked across and asked her

to read my note. She did and we had a conversation. But I did

not see her after this ever again. The poem however remained

amongst my notes. I discovered the note by accident a few

weeks later. This made me think about the power of writing for

myself, because up to that point in my life I had written purely

for my teachers.

IX

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 12

To think that writing would then become my companion, my

friend as time went by! Whenever I felt the urge to explain

something to myself or describe a sensation or even just to play

with words about a particular sentiment that I felt in my life at

the time. The notes and pieces of paper, sometimes even a

serviette, which I had used to note down something ended up

in my pockets or among my assignments. Occasionally I would

gather them and put them in an exercise book called Thoughts

and Reflections. Then again, months later I would look back at

what I had written and ponder about what all this really meant

to me.

It became important in my life to view what I had written

almost by ‘accident.’ Yes, I had become the serial accidental

writer. The amateur writer… the writer from within who would

occasionally just drop everything else that I was doing… to

continue this journey of self analysis and discovery. I found it

interesting reading what I had written. It was almost as if it was

someone else who was being moulded by this act of voluntary

‘involuntary’ writing.

So let me tell you were this writing has taken me over the

last forty years. This is how long it took me to finally put

together a book with my name on it, as author! But don’t be

fooled. I have not looked for a publisher. I decided to pay for

the publication myself. An act of self flagellation publishing or

is it rebellion? Or have I done it again? Have I become the

Accidental Author?

Tell me future reader of my works, if what I say gives you

something in return.

For having taken the time and given me the honour of your

company during moments of your own self discovery, become

part of this Association of Accidental Writers. Enjoy yourself!

X

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 13

Before the beginning

Days earlier in the same Baillieu Library of the University of

Melbourne, when the lawn outside had not yet turned into a

carpark with planted lawn on top, I was looking through the

windows and admired the very welcoming environment I found

when I arrived in this country, Australia, only a few years

earlier. I was now enjoying this earthly paradise. God came to

mind after picking up a book by Nietzsche. He was saying that

God is dead. ‘How do I know the truth,’ I asked myself? How

does anyone know?

The seeds of inquiry can be planted in a young mind and

awaken so many thoughts, so many variations of the truth

about anything. In this atmosphere I sat down, took paper and

a pen from my bag… yes, the Library was still an open,

welcoming place and students were entrusted to do the right

thing! I began to write ‘The cry of a sceptic’ my first poem…

the reason why I called it a poem was because I felt something

came out in a non rational manner. I did not do any research

on this topic. I just wrote what I felt. What came out from

within… and it made sense!

So the need to pursue a particular line of thought, a

reflection about our existence or, more precisely, my own

existence, became an extension of me that came from within. I

felt I was imprisoned between the walls of ignorance of my

body. Was there some truth about humans having a soul? If the

soul was there, where did it come from?

Why are we born? Why do we live and what is the purpose

of dying? When mortality only produces ‘waste of effort’. How

can we make this world an earthly paradise? Why are there

conflicts, wars, destruction but also kindness, understanding,

friendship, construction? So many questions about so many

things! It would take a life-time or perhaps two to get to know

only a few of the answers.

XI

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 14

Maybe that’s the beauty of writing. It’s like taking a journey

and, at the end of so many pages, you can end up in so many

different places or conclusions. A bit like life itself or culture,

where you can have totally different environments.

It was then that I decided that I definitely loved my new

village, this University ground, the holy grail of my young adult

life where much happens to you before you are released into

life itself: into relationships, the work environment, your

economic situation, a new family, children, trying to grapple

with realities big and small of a life in continual progression

and evolution.

Memories of earlier times

Already I could see the differences in places and time. I

remembered and felt vividly my childhood years… in that small

town in Italy… in Montemurro of the 1950’s… where my life

took the first steps… I also remembered ‘Moliterno’. The town

30 kms from Montemurro where I attended the ‘Scuola Media’

that introduced me to Latin and French, to History and Maths,

to all the other subjects taught in Secondary Schools. This was

my first real migration experience within my own Region, away

from my family.

Then I ended one migration period to experience a second

one… in Australia, to meet up with my father, to begin life in

another country which used English rather than Italian as a

national language! So much had changed… I reflected whilst

sitting in that chair in the Baillieu Library! I asked myself: ‘How

can I proceed…” So much had already changed and I was

only now 20 years old!

“How can I proceed without an appraisal of who I am?

How come I have had to learn another language?” The

answers to these questions occupied my being. It’s better to

look back now with the benefit of hindsight and try

XII

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 15

to understand the tensions from within, the state of mind of… a

potentially confused individual who needed clarity for the way

ahead.

Did I have clarity? Of course not! I wanted to be a lawyer

without even knowing what this profession prepared you for in

the future. So I spent a lot of my time going over vocabulary

lists in order to learn English, and to understand the

complexities of expression. I was indeed attracted to literature,

but not passionately. I was attracted to much of my studies but

without that sense of purpose that makes a really top student. I

studied because I had to and I wanted to keep my place where

I was. I enjoyed those moments at University because of the

freedom that I had when I was not at lectures and tutorials or

my part time jobs!

With the need to meet other students, to make my presence

felt, to find some familiarity amongst so much that was new to

me, I began to frequent the Melbourne University Italian Club.

Soon afterwards I joined a theatrical group called La

Filodrammatica and became more involved with my part time

jobs in order to buy a car and maintain myself with my extra

expenses, even though I lived at home and only had a bus stop

ticket to pay for. But as everyone knows University life is not

cheap for someone who has to meet the peer expectations…

with smoking, lunch in the Cafeteria, the cappuccinos and pies

and chips… going out. The list of personal needs increased as

time went on… to be an adult requires some substance!

The end result of my socialization and part time employment

as a waiter did not have a real impact in my first year at Uni.

I passed all the four subjects and even managed an Honour in

Italian (expected!). This success without much trying actually

gave me two good outcomes … I received a Commonwealth

XIII

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 16

Scholarship and the Law Faculty allowed me into first year Law.

I was a very happy individual. So I began 1969 with great

expectations… my aspiration to succeed would be sorely tested

in the year when Armstrong set foot on the Moon!

I performed reasonably well in all my written and

conversational classes in Italian and French. I also had Legal

Studies, Criminal Law and British History.

Loss and Regaining of Confidence

The University year began with great expectations. Finally I

was in the Law Faculty and I continued my language studies in

the Arts Faculty. The Commonwealth scholarship money began

to arrive. I felt absolutely on top of the world!

Within a few weeks of lectures and tutorials, I realized that

I needed to settle down to hard work if I wanted to succeed. I

did just that in part… but as the year wore on my circle of

friends grew, my involvement in La Filodrammatica took

valuable time from my studies. Money was needed to run my

car, to buy cigarettes and occasionally to go out… three, four,

five times a week! There was not much time to sleep.

So the studies began to suffer… with assignments given less

time than they should have received. In order to go dancing at

the Cavour Club, at the San Remo Ballroom, at the Hawthorn

Town Hall, plus the play rehearsals twice a week and the

Friday and Saturday nights working as a waiter at the dinner

dances and weddings at the San Remo Ballroom, Riviera Hall

and Little San Remo in North Melbourne; this busy life began

to take its toll.

I did try hard to maintain a balance and resolved to do

more near exam time, but it wasn’t to be! The calls to work as

a waiter became very repetitive, the rehearsals were time

consuming and social life was hectic. The boys and girls at the

Melbourne University began to congregate in the cafeteria to

play cards, billiards and talk! What a wonderful life! A life full

XIV

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 17

of fun, joy, new experiences, new relationships or rather

chasing new relationships… because the girls at University

were pretty focused about what they wanted. The boys were no

match for them. One of the girls told me… “I came into the Law

Faculty to get myself a lawyer.” I resolved I wasn’t ready for

marriage to anyone! My father had married at thirty three! As

a result I also looked for company outside of my usual

University ambience!

The outcome of this year of great memories resulted in my

passing only one subject! Italian II. I did not even pass French

II, a subject which I loved! I had played so hard and had lost

my way so badly that I lost my place in the Law Faculty and

also the Commonwealth Scholarship. But I was earning more

money as a waiter! I was absolutely down in the dumps in

December 1969. I slowly recovered by beginning to write

regularly in my Thoughts and Reflections Exercise Book. I

analysed why I had failed and how I could regain my losses.

So in January 1970 I went to see the Administrator of the

Law Faculty and pleaded with him to let me do the year again!

He said that he couldn’t… the Legal Studies and Criminal Law

lectures did not want students who had failed in the

examinations to repeat the year. He offered some advice. “

Listen Tom, get your Arts Degree and then I’ll let you into the

Law Faculty again.” This he could do since you could study for

another degree without there being any restrictions under the

Post Graduate Study Scheme.

I enrolled in three arts subjects: Italian3, French 2(again)

and Australian History(2). 1970 was a good year… I curtailed

some of my social life, worked fewer hours closer to exam time,

but I was even more involved in the theatrical productions of the

Italian Drama Society... my skills of organization and

communication were increasing rapidly! I still met my friends

from the Law Faculty but I was the only one who had not been

able to get back into the Law Faculty!

XV

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 18

As the year passed I became more determined to protect my

place at the University… as a result I handed in my assignments

on time and enjoyed settling down not only to the work but also

to my own writings… poetry, some philosophical reflections

and how to approach life in general. I even published a few

poems in the La Piazza Magazine of the Melbourne Italian

Students’ Club. The theatre involvement gave me an outlet for

self expression and improvement in the use of the spoken

language. The hesitancy of my first year English language use

had gone… fluency came with practice and extra studies. So I

passed the year… but this time there was no scholarship… and

I did go to see the Administrator of the Law Faculty again… but

he repeated the refrain “get your Arts Degree first and then I’ll

let you into the Law Faculty again.”

1971 arrived… I had finished Italian 3 Honours… so in

1972 I ended up with French(3) and Marketing in the

Commerce Department. So far I had Italian 1,2,3. (Honours),

French1 and 2, Philosophy1 Honours, British History(1) and

Australian History(2)… my French(3) Subject would complete

the Arts Degree requirements. Marketing, a commerce subject,

I studied out of personal interest since I was involved with the

Italian Drama Society. Here I remained as an actor and one of

the administrators for three years.

The end of 1971 saw me passing two subjects. During the

year I had gone to do some tutoring and teaching in Italian at

the Minerva Institute, a small private school in Swanston Street,

just down the road from Melbourne University. The money was

better than in waitering! At the end of that year I felt that at 23

years of age I was getting too old for Law and further studies.

A Diploma of Education course would help me get a job as a

teacher. Professor McCormick felt that was a good course of

action for me. He also wanted me to do further work in

History…

XVI

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 19

I began 1972 at the Melbourne Teacher’s College, next

door to the University of Melbourne, with a view of completing

a teaching qualification in Languages (Italian and French) and

History. My involvement with the Italian Drama Society had

grown exponentially… I was the only one left in the Marketing

and Administration roles for the group… everyone else came

only to rehearse and be on stage. My work was appreciated

by my lecturers at the Melbourne Teachers College and by

Professor Colin McCormick at the University. I had begun to

feel more comfortable with the potential of this work, which

had been and was voluntary work.

In December 1972, I met my future wife Nella and in

February 1973 I began to teach at Thornbury High School

where I introduced the teaching of Italian. My colleague and

friend Sandro Martino was in Italy for the first half of that year.

He had been one of my teaching method teachers the previous

year at the same school where he taught French and History,

Needless to say with a new girlfriend and a new job, my

involvement with the Italian Drama Society began to wane and

it came to an abrupt end in early May 1973. By June of that

year I was engaged to Nella and we married on the 23rd of

December 1973.

In 1974 I enrolled at the University of Melbourne as an

Italian (4) Honours Student with a view of getting my

Preliminary Masters Degree. I joined the Victorian Association

of Teachers of Italian and became a Committee member. By the

end of that year Stefan Kasarik, Headmaster of the Saturday

School of Modern Languages (SSML), became Secretary of the

Victorian Association of Teachers of Italian (VATI). He took me

under his wing and in 1976, he became President of Vati and

I was the Secretary of the Association. He was a very

organized and capable administrator of this School which

included a number of centres across Melbourne. He was

responsible for me becoming the first Consultant of the

XVII

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 20

Teaching of Italian in Victoria with the Education Department,

seconded to the Curriculum and Research Branch. He also

gave me the job as the first Italian Coordinator of the Saturday

School of Modern Languages.

In a few short years I had gone from theatre to education as

a marketing and practicing teacher of my subjects. In 1977 I

revised the Italian ALM text and workbook, an Audio Language

course for Harcourt Brace and Jovanovich, a New York based

Publishing House in Australia. I had also begun to teach at

Coburg High Evening School, conducted two workshops for

prospective primary and secondary school teachers at the

Melbourne State College, worked at Thornbury High School

and as the Italian Consultant for Victoria… I had become a dad

in 1974! The life of freedom had by now fully disappeared.

The next few years saw my very substantial contribution to

the teaching of Italian in this State for which the Governments

of Victoria and State Governments across Australia can truly be

proud. They led a charge in opening up the hearts and soul of

this great land to people from across the oceans … it would

take a few more decades to extend this also to the Indigenous

Australians. The commitment for a better and more humane

approach to people within their cultural and linguistic

backgrounds continues to this present day.

My work at the Curriculum and Research Branch, my

contacts with the Italian Cultural authorities and

representatives, my continued visits in schools and other

institutions and promotional work at the practical level in

schools and other institutions, together with the fact that I was

able to muster the energies of so many colleagues working in

classrooms and providing leadership to others, saw the

movement grow … with the resulting increases in the teaching

of Italian at the Secondary and Primary levels of Education.

XVIII

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 21

In 1979 I had become a dad for the third time… I was also

the President of the Victorian Association of Teachers of Italian

and of the Federal Committee of Teachers of Italian working

closely with the Director of the Cultural Institute in Melbourne

and urging the authorities to further their links with the country

of origin in order to bring about a qualitative improvement in

the teaching of Italian and in the relationships between the two

countries.

What a journey in a decade! One which I have not

forgotten but which inspires me still today after forty years of

activity!

In the meantime my poetry output did not stop… I continued

to jot down ideas, write poems, try to connect reality with my

aspirations… to search for the truth, for fairness, for ways in

which we can share our knowledge and skills. It was an intense

period of love, commitment to ideals, working to improve my

lot and that of others, for the greater good of all. It was a fun

if at times perplexing emotional and practical journey in search

of my own identity in a duality and multiplicity of experience.

In all this time, the writing continued to serve me well… the

accidental writer had begun to appreciate the importance of

recording one’s own actions for one’s own benefit… and also

for others. The art of written communication is an important tool

to be kept and cherished.

The skills developed as the practice grew… I had to write

up newsletters, letters, lesson plans, prepare articles for

newspapers, give impromptu speeches, organize and

communicate what needed to be done in small and large group

situations. I also had to write reports, give my views about

certain issues… the art of writing for others leads you to

simplify the type of language you use. You realize that clarity

and the short, sharp message is valued in one’s relationship

with people from all walks of life, young and old.

XIX

Volume 2 English 2/9/09 10:41 AM Page 22

1979 was truly a momentous year for me as the

organization of the work of the Federal Committee of Teachers

of Italian became a part of its brief to expand and provide a

qualitative language service across Australia. These were the

times of the development of Radio and TV networks that would

revolutionize the cultural imprimata of this country.

Today Australia has enjoyed many decades of tolerance

and growth within Government policies of all political

persuasions… extreme views have not taken a hold despite a

number of movements aiming to polarize and cause prejudice

and racism. Maybe all that happened in Australia and

especially in Melbourne and Victoria was a premeditated

ideological push towards our acceptance of globalization as a

reality in our modern world.

When I travel these days… wherever I fly over different

continents and countries, I recognize in the nations below their

cultural contribution in my daily life. For this I am immensely

grateful. More so because our children have become truly

cosmopolitan and comfortable in their acceptance of others

and cultures different from their own. I am also grateful for the

fact that these same children are strong believers in their own

inherently diverse identity… recognizing the different flavours

of their moods, thoughts and emotions coming from different

geographical areas of their family history. There is no turning

back.

The dreams of my youth have been realized. I am content

with the fact that I feel that my working life has somehow

played a positive part in this development, in which all people

have the right to say:

“Planet Earth: you are my world.”

The Accidental Writer continues to stumble across more

poetry that accompanies him in his walks through the reality of

living. For now, enjoy these poems on Love, the Seasons and

Sentiments… Buona lettura!

Tom Padula – April 2009